Monday, January 24, 2011

The Power of a Small Group

There are times in my life where I have felt like the lonely soul that questions God in the poem called Footprints In the Sand, "...but I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints when I needed you most."

I have also come to realize that it is not only the feeling of God's Spirit we miss in times of need, but the physical companionship of a person who shares that same friendship and relationship with God. I have been fortunate enough to be a part of a small group that was formed approximately 4 months ago. I think the term small group doesn't really encompass the deeper relationships that have formed between this group. It may be a small group in numbers, but a large group in Spiritual Growth.

After a trying week, a week where God has fallen from your mind, which makes snapping back to your Christian reality a little difficult, meeting with people who share in the same faith is both an uplifting and helpful experience in getting back on track. I was reading Romans 1:11-12, and these versus encompass what I believe each person feels about in our small group, and why we keep getting together every week to talk about God and His son Jesus Christ. Romans 1:11-12 11 I long to see you so that I may impart to you some Spritual gift to make you strong- 12 that is, that you and I may be mutually encouraged by each other's faith.

Each one of us is gifted in how we interpret God's word and can speak about our relationship with Christ. Each of us can bring a different point of view on how to apply God's word to our everyday life and missgivings. Reach out to each of your friends and create this relationship. Hold dear those people that you can meet with everyday to encourage you in your life. You may go through hardships, but remember, "...the times when you have only seen one set of footprints, is when I [Jesus Christ] carried you." It is also those relationships that God puts in your life to lift you when you look for His physical companionship too.

Dear Heavenly Father,

I want to thank you for the relationships that you put in my life. Thank you for the friendships you have helped me establish, and the sharing in faith that is common among all of us. I ask that you continue to foster in me a bright light. That you compel our small group to uplift each other in times of need and be honest in our faith, that we may grow to know you better and encourage each other through our faith.

Through thought, word, and deed, I will be you Lord Jesus Christ - Amen

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Read your blog for the first time today, Joshua. And as a member of your small group I couldn't agree more!! Having missed our last meeting I have to say I don't feel as revived as I usually do starting a new work week. Being in communion with each other has had such an impact on both mine and Darby's lives. We both look forward to seeing everyone and come away feeling refreshed!! Look forward to seeing everyone again this week!!