Friday, October 1, 2010

Crazy Love is Back...

I have been living my life in a pretty predictable way the past few years. I picked up doing a blog about my Bible Journey around the time I found out that my wife was pregnant with my son Oliver. That was over 2 years ago. Since then, much has happened. By living predictable, I do not mean that I lost my faith in Christ, but that my actions as a Christians were very predictable in nature. I attended a group called Theology on Tap. I went to church...most Sundays. I prayed every day. As the two years moved forward, I noticed that my faith in Christ never wavered, but my passion for him did. Now, that doesn't mean if you struck up a conversation with me about my faith or Christianity as a whole, I wouldn't be passionate in my response to you, but I was becoming less passionate in my actual relationship with God. Although I was praying, my prayers became less and less. Although I was attending church, my want to be with other Christians became less and less.
My wife, Oliver, and I have since moved to a new church, closer to home, called Freshwater. We wanted to become active and participate right away, so we ended up signing up for a book study with other church members, on the book Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan. Now, my bible journey is not about talking about my Christian church life, but in my journey through the bible. So, I will not go on and on about how great Freshwater is and about how much I love talking with our new friends, I'll just leave these comments to sum up my love for where our family has landed.
When I first picked up this book, and cannot say it stirred any feelings in me to start picking up my passion for the word of God right off the bat. There are many times I find myself reading books on other Christians theories and not being converted to a passion to pick up the book of God. I was walking up the stairs to work this morning, reading my book, yes, I walk up the stair and read my book at the same time. I figure, if I am reading about God while walking, he will protect me from harm ;) I made it to a part in the book that stirred something within me to start blogging about the word of God again. In Chapter 5, serving leftovers to a holy God, I read the following excerpts:

"..., I quoted several commentators who agreed with my point of view. But we all know that you can find quotes to support any view you want to take. You can even tweak word studies to help you in your effort. I'm not against scholarship, but I do believe there are times when we come to more accurate conclusions through simple reading."
"Pray. Then read the Gospels for yourself. Put this book down and pick up your Bible. My prayer for you is that you'll understand the Scriptures not as I see them, but as God intends them."

Where have I been, and what have I been doing? The time when I had the most passion for Christ was when I started this Bible Journey. I was not just listening to Dogma, Theology, church leaders, books, etc. I was listening to the voice of God. I was reading his word like I was reading it for the first time. Faith should be seen as through the eyes of a child.

I am here to start my journey again. To share it and walk with those that want to do it with me. Take a look at what I did in the past. Participate with me if you would like. Here starts the second journey of my time through the Bible with God.

God's peace love and understanding to all of you. Amen

No comments: