Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Reasoning versus Debating

18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool

I could write multiple thoughts around Isaiah 1:18, but while reading this verse today, one word sticks out to me the most; reason.  Reasoning is the art of drawing conclusions based on facts.  In fact, Reasoning is defined on Dictionary.com as; 2: the process of forming conclusions, judgements, or inferences from facts or premises. 

One of the most successful reasoners in our Christian faith, besides Jesus Christ, would be Paul.  Paul by far is one of our most influential Christian missionary's.  His success was built largely in part on his ability to reason with those he spoke to.

I have often heard from those that know me, I like to "debate".  That I seek out opportunities to debate with others.  I have always struggled with this perception.  I tend to cling to today's verse, knowing that my love for Christ increases my will to want to reason with God, myself, AND others.  The thoughts and knowledge I use during my reasoning is not built on just questioning the reasoning of fellow brothers and sisters, but continuously questioning my reasoning and seeking the answer through God's word and prayer.  Only then do I feel that my reasoning is sound and that when I speak with others, I am either affective in helping them fill gaps in their reasoning or they may help fill gaps in my own reasoning, thinking, or my Theological views. 

Where I can get in trouble is, and I've spoken with my wife about this, is, I rise and fall to how the mood is set by my following conversationalist.  That is when I become a debater, and reason at a much louder volume of voice.  For those of you that have been caught up in the unthoughtful way of reasoning I have instigated, I do apologize. 

As Christians, we owe it to ourselves to be great reasoners of our faith.  We are asked to go out and make disciples of all nations, and in a time and place where logic and reasoning is very powerful, to hone your skill set in reasoning not only strengthens your faith, but it maybe the deciding factor on how affective you are as a disciple.

As a Christian, how many times have you reasoned with yourself the words of other Christians?  How many times have you been in a conversation you felt uncomfortable, because you could not reason yourself out of a question asked by a non-Christian.  We must own our faith.  We must build our arsenal of truth by reasoning with God, other Christians, ourselves, and non-Christians. 

God's Peace Love and Understanding to all of you.

Colossians 3:17 17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

No comments: