Thursday, November 17, 2016

Parental Guidance

The Man in the Mirror | Chapter 8 | Children: How to Avoid Regrets | “We don’t have to be the sweetest guy in the world to have an impact on our kids.  What seems like a bore and a waste of time can be a great inspiration to them.  They just need our time and attention.” (italics added) – Patrick M. Morley

scrip·ture | Proverbs 22:6 6 Train up a child in the way he should go; Even when he is old he will not depart from it.

de·vo·tion | I am reminded every day of the influence, I have on my children. First of all, because of how annoying their humor is and secondly, the amount of characteristics and mannerisms they have picked up from just watching me. My oldest son (7) will laugh out loud in a crowd of his friends when I say something sarcastic, where his friends look at me like I am some kind of alien.  My middle son (5) cannot take a serious picture if his life depends on it.  My youngest daughter (1) whines when she is hungry and wants to play video games all the time…ok, the video game part is not true, but you know what I am getting at.  They truly have become children in the likeness of me. A key word in all that I have said is character. As parents, we must ask ourselves, what type of character we hope for our children. And, as Christian parents, we have an even larger role in making sure our children develop Christ Like character.

Here is the deal; God has asked us to create a Godly environment where our children marinate in Godly choices and actions. We are asked to write the faith, hope, and love of God on their hearts. More importantly, we are to, as Titus 2:7-8 states, “Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show Integrity, Dignity, and Sound Speech that cannot be condemned..."[emphasis added by me], or as it states in Joshua 24:15, "...But as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.”

As Christian fathers, we must model our lives through the life and image of our God and His son Jesus Christ. Matthew 12:33-35 "Make a tree good and its fruit will be good, or make a tree bad and its fruit will be bad, for a tree is recognized by its fruit..." Seems pretty clear how much influence we have as godly men and fathers in providing the right godly marinate for our children. Through Jesus Christ's words, we are reminded as Christian parents just how much of an influence we will have on our children. Good people bring good things out of the good stored up in them, and evil people bring evil things out of the evil stored up in them. I am reminded of something James, my homeless friend, told me one lunch time. He said that his grandma told him once, "You live wicked, you die wicked." Although striking, it is a very simple truth. We should model ourselves as Jesus Christ, and create that marinate that will influence our children into making good fruit of themselves, but also influence them to influence good fruit of their children, neighbors, friends, and even their "enemies."

In all of this, the only way we will have any influence in our kid’s life is if we are present. If you were only given 37 seconds a day with your child, how would you use that time to influence your children? Would you use that time to influence them in prayer? Would you use that time to influence them in servitude? Would you use that time to influence them in praise and worship to our LORD? Are you giving your child a chance to see you as godly influence? Are you as dedicated to the wellness of your child’s godly character as you are in meeting your bonus or getting that next promotion? If I only spent 37 seconds a day with my children, my oldest would never have developed such a great sense of humor. If I spent all my time chasing after the American Dream, my middle child wouldn’t ruin every family picture with grace. If I spent all my time trying to provide for my family away from my family, my youngest probably wouldn’t smile every time I walk in the door. If I wasn’t present, more than 37 seconds a day, I would never get the chance to live out God’s desire for being a godly influence to my children and being the spiritual leader that my children deserve.

prayer |
Dear LORD, my God and my Savior. I ask you LORD to continue to equip me with the truth and knowledge and strength to live a righteous life that reflects your character. Help me to create a Godly marinate that I can share with my children. Also LORD, lend my children your Spirit in the times where they have choices that are outside my influence, and that you find it in your steadfast mercy to keep them within your everlasting arms. Through thought, word, and deed I will be You Lord God and Your son Jesus Christ. Amen

Daily Alone Time with God |
Chapter of the Week | Titus 2

Mon·day | Deuteronomy 6:6-7 6 And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. 7 You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise.
Tues·day | Ephesians 6:4 4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Wednes·day | Psalms 127:3-5 3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb a reward. 4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. 5 Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
Thurs·day | Proverbs 1:8-9 8 Hear, my son, your father’s instruction, and forsake not your mother’s teaching, 9 for they are a graceful garland for your head and pendants for your neck.

Fri·day | Psalm 78:4 4 We will not conceal them from their children, But tell to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, And His strength and His wondrous works that He has done.

No comments: