Monday, March 6, 2017

Wheels Off



The Man in the Mirror | Chapters 18 | Anger | “…99 percent of the time we become angry because we are selfish and impatient” – Patrick M. Morley
scrip·ture | James 1:20 20 for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God.
de·vo·tion | I usually have a pretty laid back personality. There is not a lot that gets me angry, but there is a combination of things that can light a fire in me like no other. When a situation includes heat, hunger, and car seats, I do not know what hits me, but it definitely is not good.
Every so often we have to switch car seats around. Already a menial task, I was ready to try and tackle my demons one morning as I had to move my kid’s car seats from my truck to our van. It was hot that morning, and I don’t mean “kind of” hot, it was hot. It was so hot, when I stepped into our van that morning it kind of felt like what I imagine a gorilla’s armpit would feel like that is walking around the Minnesota State Fair. Not only was it hot, but I had not had breakfast yet that morning. As I continued to tug and pull at straps that are impossible and having my legs stick to the hot leather, the anger demons started to protrude out of me in the sweat that was dripping down my nose. I was pushing and tugging and swearing and crying and getting angrier and angrier. By the time I got the car seats in, I had time for a quick breakfast sandwich and we had to head out the door.
My head was swimming from doing heat yoga in our van, putting myself in impossible positions while trying to get those car seats in. The breakfast sandwich had not made its way from my stomach to my system, so the hangry man in me was still around, and the car seats were not done with me yet. As I sat in self-seething in the driver’s seat surrounded by my family, my kids started having trouble with their car seats. Like Old Faithful, my head and mouth exploded, “What is wrong with you guys, don’t you understand that I want to get to church!?!” My wife likes to affectionately remind me that “Wheels Off Joshua” came out.  “Wheels Off Joshua” comes out when trying to put up a 4 x 12 piece of sheetrock on my basement ceiling all by myself, and not so pleasant words come out of my mouth (most of you know what I am talking about).
How many of you can relate to “Wheels Off Joshua”? How many of you are reading this and can’t help but think that “Wheels Off Fill-in-the-Blank” happens way more often than you would like? How many of you find yourself in situations where it is hard to look at things selflessly and be the role model Christ asked you to be? Maybe it’s time to examine yourself and not only study what Christ asks of us in patience, but also seek the help that you need. There are some famous lyrics that should ring in the back of our minds as we find ourselves in situations where we are faced with making the decision to become “Wheels Off” or not, “Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.” Stand back my friends, look within yourself and around you, ask for the forgiveness that God desires for us and make a change. With everything and in everything, “Check yourself, before you wreck yourself.”
prayer | LORD, I am a selfish man, and I can’t help but reflect on that and be ashamed. I know You call me to be humble, patient, and kind, but my selfishness sometimes gets in the way of me being able to live up to those expectations You have given to us. I honestly pray for forgiveness, not just from you, but to those that have been hurt or fallen victim to my selfishness along the way. We want to be more like You, and in that I pray that You provide the strength needed to make a change. I pray this in your precious name and in Your son Jesus Christ the LORD. Amen

Daily Alone Time with God |

Chapter of the Week | Proverbs 13

Mon·day | Proverbs 15:1 1 A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

Tues·day | James 4:1-2 1 What causes quarrels and what causes fights among you? Is it not this, that your passions are at war within you? 2 You desire and do not have, so you murder. You covet and cannot obtain, so you fight and quarrel. You do not have, because you do not ask. 

Wednes·day | Matthew 5:22 22 But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, 'You fool!' will be liable to the hell of fire.
Thurs·day | Proverbs 14:29 29 Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.

Fri·day | Colossians 3:13 13 bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive.

No comments: