Friday, February 24, 2017

"I be ok, I got Jesus"



Fear | He doesn’t promise to save your business, or get your son off drugs, or bring your wife to Christ, or keep you from losing your job, but He does promise to save you. Rescue by Jesus is the great promise we have if we will only call out to Him when we are afraid.” – Patrick M. Morley The Man in the Mirror
scrip·ture | 2 Timothy 1:7 7for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
de·vo·tion | My oldest son has this deep seeded fear of basements. I am not exactly sure where the fear comes from, but no matter how many times you sit down to rationalize the situation, he sits and stairs at you and you can see in his eyes, “I don’t care how crazy it sounds, I am still scared out of my mind!” In our old house, he would never go down to the basement to get a toy by himself, no matter how much he wanted that toy. He would always blackmail his younger brother into going down with him.

One day, his brother was not around, and there was something in the basement he really wanted to play with. Of course, instead of being awesome parents and walking downstairs with him to make him feel safe, we decided to turn it into a teachable moment on facing your fears. We proceeded to rationalize the situation again, and you could see both the ever-present fear on his face, but you could also see the determination of wanting that toy so bad. After talking with him for a few moments, we left it up to him. If he wanted to play with the toy bad enough, he would have to go down to the basement by himself to go get it.

Thinking that he would give up on the toy, we went about doing whatever we were doing. All of the sudden, we look back, and our oldest is sitting at the top of the stairs saying something to himself out-loud. As we crept a little closer to him, we could finally hear him giving himself a pep talk. “I be ok, I got Jesus…I be ok, I got Jesus…I be ok, I got Jesus”, and off he ran in lightning speed down the stair. For about 30 seconds, he was able to give his fear and anxiety to God, and he grabbed the toy and brought it upstairs to play with.

I learned a great lesson from my oldest son that day. Even in my deep seeded fears, “I be ok, I got Jesus”. Where do you find yourself today with your anxieties, fears, and worries? Do you believe in your heart, “I be ok, I got Jesus” or do you rely upon yourself to get over your anxieties, fears, and worries?

prayer | LORD, as I think about my fears and how they can sometime debilitate me, I realize how much my entire soul has not been given up to You. You are truly my strong tower. In the times where I fear, grant me Your shelter LORD. I pray that Your Spirit is a constant companion that I can turn to like a friend. Give me the confidence and courage I need to fully grasp what it means to have a spirit not of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. Amen

Daily Alone Time with God |

Chapter of the Week | Proverbs 12

Mon·day | Isaiah 35:4 4Say to those who have an anxious heart, "Be strong; fear not! Behold, your God will come with vengeance, with the recompense of God. He will come and save you."

Tues·day | John 14:27 27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.
Wednes·day | Matthew 6:34 34"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Thurs·day | Psalm 23:4 4Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.

Fri·day | 1 Peter 5:6-7 6Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, 7casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

No comments: