Thursday, October 13, 2016

Comfortable Christian


The Man in the Mirror Chapter 3: Biblical Christian or Cultural Christian | “The question for us all should be: Is there any marginal difference between the way I live and the way the broken, hurting world lives?  Does my life offer hope or disillusionment?”


scrip·ture | Revelations 3:15-17 “‘I know your works: you are neither cold nor hot. Would that you were either cold or hot! So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth. For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked.


de·vo·tion·al | Lukewarm, Cultural, and Comfortable Christian, all terms I have seen or heard over the past five years describing modern day Christianity.  To be comfortable, I always think of surrounding myself with things that are familiar to me. I try not to introduce anything new or put myself in a situation where I might not fit the status quo.  A Lukewarm, Cultural, or Comfortable Christian praises God, reads their Bible, and goes to church in ways that have become half hearted, and surround themselves or only take part in things that are familiar to them. Put themselves in situations that they know are not going to ruffle feathers or put a strain on their already hectic schedule.


I was reminded of a story of when I used to ride the bus from Mound to Minneapolis for work every night. It was a cold day in Minnesota, which already zaps you of any energy you may have. It had been a long day at work, and I was both physically and mentally exhausted. When I got on the bus, I went and sat in my favorite spot. In the winter, it was the back seat where the engine warms the seat and adds the extra bit of warmth that the struggling heaters cannot produce. My ride was only a forty-five minute ride, so I put my feet up on the seat in front of me, laid my head back, and got as comfortable and cozy as I could in my favorite spot. After a while, I stirred from my sleep and took a quick look around. To my surprise, I had been so comfortable I had missed my stop. I was over twelve miles away from my stop and still headed in the wrong direction. I had missed out on my opportunity to be at home, and now had to wait until the bus made its way back towards my bus stop.  It scares me that if I found myself to be a Comfortable Christian, like my bus trip, I might miss the most important stop of my life.


It is time as a Christian that we become less comfortable, otherwise we might fall asleep and miss out on the opportunity to get off at the right spot.  Although I had the benefit of taking the bus until it came back around to my bus stop, as a Christian, we have only one opportunity and one chance to get off where we need to...
prayer | LORD, Help me to become less comfortable as a Christian. Inspire your word in me and help me to get off my earthly pedestal and look to you for guidance in my faith. I humble myself in front of your feet, and ask you to speak through my heart once again.


Through thought, word, and deed, I will be You God and Your son Jesus Christ...AMEN


Daily Time with God |


Mon·day
Romans 12:2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Tues·day
1 Peter 3:15 But in your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you; yet do it with gentleness and respect
Wednes·day
Romans 12:1-2 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Thurs·day
Jeremiah 7:24 But they did not obey or incline their ear, but walking in their own counsels and the stubbornness of their evil hearts, and went backward and not forward.
Fri·day

Matthew 16:25-27 If you try to hang on to your life, you will lose it. But if you give up your life for my sake, you will save it. And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? For the Son of Man will come with his angels in the glory of his Father and will judge all people according to their deeds.

No comments: