Friday, October 21, 2016

Identity Crisis


The Man in the Mirror | Chapter 4 | Significance: The Search for Meaning and Purpose | “He came to the conclusion on his own: “Why should God give me a great job when I am not yet a faithful doer of the job He has already give men?”  You and I would never consider promoting someone who wasn’t doing the job they already had!

scrip·ture | Matthew 16:24-26 24 Then Jesus told his disciples, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross, and follow me. 25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. 26 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?  Or what shall a man give in return for his soul?

de·vo·tion | I was doing it.  I was absolutely doing it!  I was riding on the American Dream fast train.  Only two years after graduating from college, I had been promoted 4 times and had received a pay raise every 6 months.  I had made it to a Systems Engineer within two years and was being promised Senior Systems Engineer within 6 months.  I had no road blocks, continuous promotions, and the sky was the limit, I was doing it!  Then 2008 happened, and there were roadblocks everywhere.

Because I had grown accustomed to the American Dream fast train, I continued to press being promoted to Senior Systems Engineer.  I became obsessed with it.  I was asking my manager, “When will I be getting promoted?!?” in every conversation and at every turn.  I was so obsessed with it I started to pay less attention to what I was actually delivering, and more on getting to the next promotion.  I was sitting down with my manager during one conversation, and yet again asked, “When am I going to get promoted?”  My manager finally said the one thing I needed to hear, “When are you going to start being a good Systems Engineer?”

I had been so obsessed with the idea of being promoted that I completely lost track of doing the job I was supposed to be doing.  As Christians, we can find ourselves so caught up in what we want to be in this world and striving for the next big thing, we forget about being good at the one thing God has actually asked us to be.  We are called to take up our cross daily and be disciples of our LORD and Savior Jesus the Christ.  We are asked to humble ourselves and confess that without Him, we can achieve nothing.  We are so focused on asking to be promoted and held in such high regard in this world, we don’t hear the LORD asking, “When are you going to start being a good disciple?”

Prayer | LORD, I have found in the examination of myself, I am lacking in living out what you have called me to be.  I spend so much time focused on the rat race of this world and seeking out the approval from the wrong people.  I do not spend enough time focusing on living out what You called me to be, a dedicated child and disciple of You.  LORD, forgive me for my blindness!  LORD, forgive me for my complacency!  Lend me Your Spirit that I may have strength to humble my celebrated self and focus on loving You.  Amen

Daily Alone Time with God |

Chapter of the Week | Read Romans 12

Mon·day | Exodus 9:16 16 But for this purpose I have raised you up, to show you my power, so that my name bay be proclaimed in all the earth.

Tues·day | Proverbs 19:21 21 Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand.

Wednes·day | Philippians 2:12-13 12 Therefore, my beloved, as you have always, obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure.

Thurs·day | Romans 8:28 28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Fri·day | 2 Timothy 1:8-9 8 Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony about our Lord, nor of me his prisoner, but share in suffering for the gospel by the power of God, 9 who save us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began

 

No comments: