Friday, April 4, 2008

Genesis 38,39,40 * Matthew 12:22-50 * Psalm 11

Genesis 38, 39, 40 Reflections

I struggle to follow and see the significance of the story of Judah, one of Jacob's sons, in Genesis 38. The one thing that sticks out to me is the heartache Judah must have had in loosing all of his children and wife to death.

Genesis 39 - 40 continues the story of Joseph and the trouble he continuously goes through. Yet through all that happens to him in these readings, his devotion to LORD God does not falter. Even when thrown into prison, he still feels the love from God that he has always felt. He seems to live a life full of blessings even though he lives in a prison too. This is a cool story to read, and fascinating to see the plot continue with Joseph.


Questions for follow up:
Q - What is the significance of the story of Judah in the middle of the story of Joseph in Genesis?

Matthew 12:22 - 50 Reflections
Matthew 12:22 - 50 is full of insight and profound messages from Jesus Christ. As I read Matthew, I found myself in a state we find Jesus disciples many times throughout the New Testament, I was not understanding everything Jesus was saying. Many could sit and analyze Jesus stories and make conclusions as to their meanings, and we still may not get at the heart of Jesus words. I sometimes find it humerous, because Jesus tells us that our faith should be as simple as a child's faith, but when I read these stories, I get confused about how unsimple Jesus words were sometimes. Regardless of my being confused through most of Matthew 12, I still found myself being drawn to a specific verse. Matthew 12:38 - 39 38 Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: I found myself troubled by these words, only because I have found myself asking the same question as the Pharisees a few times in my life. "Dear God, please, just give me a sign that you are hear, and my faith will be that much stronger, Dear God, just help me just this one time, and I will be eternally devoted to you, Dear God, just let me see your face and I will be eternally yours." Have you ever found yourself in your life challenging God to the same type of questions? I have written about faith earlier in my journal, and the same still holds true. Faith is not something that is just built upon indisputable facts. Faith is not something just built on seeing and believing. Faith is something that is built in our hearts and not with our eyes. Humans have got to understand our need for the intervention of God and his Holy Spirit in our lives. In an age of science and always needing to know the purpose of life, we look for facts and signs in our life to help us believe. Throughout my life, and even a short way into this journey, I have realized that my faith has been built on my trust in God and opening my heart to the Holy Spirit. Yes, I have asked for things in my life in prayer and have not been answered or given the sign that would make me believe. But I have also had many things in my life happen, where I was not asking God for a sign, but he revealed Himself to me anyways. God has shown himself to me the times I have opened up my heart and eyes to him. He has shown Himself to me in the times I laid my life in His hands and let Him drive me around. Today in church, we sang the song, Open the Eyes of My Heart. How fitting of a song to fit in the context of my journal today. I must never again ask God to show me a sign to prove His existence, but, like it says in the words of the song, Open the eyes of my heart Lord, open the eyes of my heart, I want to be with you, I want to be with you. If only we ask God, to open our eyes and our heart, we will not need a sign or a prayer answered as a condition of our faith in Him.

Dear heavenly father, I ask that you open our eyes and hearts. That you build in us a faith not built on signs or all our answered prayers, but on a strong relationship with you and a devotion to reading your word. Breath in us your Spirit, and protect us from the sins of this world. Drive temptations from our hearts, and baptize us in your Spirit. Guide us down a path of perfection and righteousness, that we might strive to be like You and Your son Jesus Christ...Amen

Questions for follow up:
Q - Matthew 12:31 - 32 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. What does Jesus mean when he talks about blasphemy and speaking against the Holy Ghost, and that we will not be forgiven for such things. How would we or when would we know when we are doing such sins against men versus the Holy Ghost?
Q - Matthew 12:46 - 50
46 While he yet talked to the people, behold, his mother and his brethren stood without, desiring to speak with him. 47 Then one said unto him, Behold, thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to speak with thee. 48 But he answered and said unto him that told him, Who is my mother? and who are my brethren? 49 And he stretched forth his hand toward his disciples, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren! 50 For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. Is Jesus denouncing his mother and brothers here, or is he just clarifying the fact that our definition of earthly brothers and sisters is different than our heavenly definition of our brothers and sisters?

Psalm 11 Reflections
I continue to love the poetry and writing in Psalms, but I also continue to try and understand the tone that David takes in the wicked. I understand that the wicked, are just that, wicked, but the Psalms speak in such a finite way of their future. Does David speak about those that die wicked and never repented of their sins? From what I have read on my journey so far, God and His son Jesus Christ preach that every person has the opportunity to receive their forgiveness and grace. That even the wicked can be diverted from their ways and fully receive forgiveness of their wicked sins.

Questions for follow up:
Q - Psalm 11:1 1 In the LORD put I my trust: how say ye to my soul, Flee as a bird to your mountain? What does David mean when he says Flee as a bird to your mountain?

No comments: