Sunday, April 6, 2008

Life's Curveballs

I have fallen a few days behind on my readings, and I started to feel incredibly bad about it. I wondered if it was going to be another start in a trend of giving up my daily devotion. As I thought about what I was going to do, I thought I might as well write about it. My grandmother died this past week, so it was a busy and troublesome week. It is just one of those things in our busy life, where we need to stop and grieve with our family. It was a time, I needed to take a break from my reading and be in the presence of others in the family of Christ and let them council me in my sad days. It was a week full of heartache and sorrow, but also of joy and thankfulness. My grandmother was a child of God, and thankfully she knew it. She was very devoted to God and his son Jesus Christ. She lived her life trying to abide by the perfections that Jesus speaks about to us. She also knew she was not perfect in her human heart, and she was humble in the presence of God.

After thinking about it for a while, I realized that I might not be able to read the text EVERY day, but that should not stop me from continuing my journey. Everyday should be a day in which we should find the time to sit down, unwind, and read the word of God. But we also must come to the understanding that we might not be able to meet our needs of reading God's word everyday. We should not be discouraged by this, but we must also not forget our calling to pick up the Bible and continue where we left off. So I say to those who are walking along side of me with this journey, do not be discouraged if you fall behind, do not get upset with yourself, because you have not been able to keep up with the date on your text. If your Bible guide tells your reading for today is Monday and it is Wednesday, no worries. The point God is making to us is not to make sure we are on the correct day of reading His word, but that we are reading His word.

Dear heavenly father, you have walked with us all our lives. Sometimes we are discouraged, because we fail to keep promises about reading your word everyday, but you still fill us with your grace and love. Keep us light at heart, and give us strength to pick up where we leave off. Fill us with the knowledge of who you are through the word of our brothers and sisters that have come before us and have been witnesses of You and your son's miracles and love. We thank you for all of your blessings, and we ask that you forgive us for our sins. Through your name and your son Jesus Christ...Amen.

- Through thought, word, and deed, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will be You Lord God, and Your son Jesus Christ...Amen.

No comments: