Saturday, March 22, 2008

Genesis 25,26 * Matthew 9:1-17 * Psalm 8

Genesis 25, 26 Reflections

I almost got through all of Genesis 25 and 26 thinking I was not going to have an inspiration, but only questions. As I read Genesis 26:26 - 31, I found some inspiration hiding in those versus. I read how Abimelech, king of Gerar, Ahuzzath, a friend of Abimelech, and Phichol, the chief captain of Abimelech's army, went to see Isaac. Isaac says in Genesis 26:27 27 And Isaac said unto them, Wherefore come ye to me, seeing ye hate me, and have sent me away from you? I gathered from this text that Abimelech and his kingdom was in some way an enemy of Isaac's and vise-versa. Regardless of their status with each other, the LORD is with Isaac and this is apparently obvious to Abimelech, and he would like to have an oath of peace between himself and Isaac. Although enemies, the light of the Lord shines through again, and even if they were once not friends, they now can eat and drink together, because of the relationship Isaac has with God. Regardless of who I may not get along with on this earth, it is my part to let my love of the Lord shine through in all that I do, so anybody and everybody can see that the Lord is with me. If I continue to walk down the path of God and keep his laws and repent every day, just maybe it will be a source of inspiration to others.

Thank you dear God for the relationship you have set between You and I. I ask that you continue to walk with me down this journey of life, and that you shine your grace and forgiveness in the way I live my life, so that it be an inspiration to all I meet. I pray this in Your name dear God, and Your son Jesus Christ...Amen

Questions to follow up:
Q - "...and he gave up the Ghost and died." This is stated twice in Genesis 25. This is a unique style of writing compared to what I have already read. Why is it so different?

Q - Genesis 20:1 - 7 Abraham asks Sarah to say she is his sister so Abimelech, king of Gerar, in which Abimelech sent for Sarah and took her. Genesis 26:6 - 11 Now Isaac tells the same king of Gerar, Abimelech, the same thing his father did, saying Rebekah was his sister. There are now two stories where Abraham says that Sarah is his sister, and now there is a third and very similar story where Isaac says Rebekah is his sister. What is the significance of these stories?

Matthew 9:1 - 17 Reflections
There are many messages which are revealed to me in only half of Matthew 9. The text that affected me the most what Matthew 9:10 - 13. Everywhere Jesus goes, the people he meets and the individuals he cures are not all perfect people. The miracles of God and the saving grace given to us through the death of his son Jesus Christ is not set aside just for people whom are perfect. Jesus shows us that it is not just other Christians we should surround ourselves with, but we should surround ourselves with people we may not think fit into our earthly society. Every single person on this earth has a chance to become inheritors of eternal life. If you know the way, we must not just share it with other Christians we must spread the news of God and his son to those who truly need it. Jesus says in Matthew 9:12 - 13 12 But when Jesus heard that, he said unto them, They that be whole need not a physician, but they that are sick. 13 But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Again, we are not to hide behind our Christian faith and say that we are perfect, because these are not the type of people Jesus was coming to so. These are not the type of people who are meek or portray the qualities that Jesus speaks about on the sermon on the mountain. Everyday, we must know of our sins and recognize them as sins. We must repent, because we know we are not perfect, and that it is the death of Jesus Christ that is our saving grace.

Note: Number 5 of the 12 disciples is chosen. Matthew, a man seen sitting at the receipt of custom.

Psalm 8 Reflections
Psalm 3:3 3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained. Have you ever looked up at the stars and stared in wonderment at their beauty. Have you ever looked at a sunset and watched it's amazing glow on the horizon? Have you ever experienced the joy having your own child born into this world? I have not had the joy to experience all of the above, but there are many things on this earth that I have. There are many times in my life when I sit and look at the wonderful scenery and experiences God has laid out for us. People tend to try and disprove God by saying science is the opposite of God and science is the explanation for all these things. Funny when I think about it really, because science would not be a form of study if it was not for God. There are many times in the bible in which God uses science to control nature to do things that it would not normally do. Sometimes there were things that could be explained by science, but the miracle had to do with the timing of when it happened. God works in miraculous and mysterious ways. I love it.

- Through thought, word, and deed, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will be You Lord God, and Your son Jesus Christ...Amen

No comments: