Saturday, March 15, 2008

Genesis 6,7,8 * Matthew 3 * Psalm 3

Genesis 6, 7, 8 Reflections

Genesis 6:17 17 And, behold, I, even I, do bring a flood of waters upon the earth, to destroy all flesh, wherein is the breath of life, from under heaven; and everything that is in the earth shall die.

After reading Genesis 6, 7, and 8, I found myself continuously being brought back to Genesis 6:17. The first part of the verse states, And, behold, I, even I… After reading the words over and over, I, even I, rung in my ears. I get this feeling that many of the humans on the Earth at that time new of God and about God. I get this feeling that they had grown comfortable with the protection and the lack of discipline they received after they lived lives of violence and corruption. Humans must have had this awe for God, but after being violent and corrupt for so long, started getting comfortable that nothing would ever happen to them. They are humans and nothing will ever happen to them no matter what they do, because they feel God would never retaliate to their wickedness. God helps reinforce my idea when He tells Noah, I, even I, will bring a flood to this Earth and everything will parish. Yes, I, the powerful God that you know, the God that created the heavens and earth, the God that has been quick to anger yet still yielding to those that have sinned before Him, yes, even I (God) would bring a flood of waters upon the earth. As I read on, I get to Genesis 8, which is the end of the flood story. It is written in Genesis 8:21;

Genesis 8:21 21 And the LORD smell a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imaginations of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.

Despite God’s anger towards His creation, despite His sadness for His creation, and despite His repentance for creating man, God shows his emotions of how sad He was after destroying His Earth and the humans He created. After the flood, He understands that the wickedness, corruption, and violence that humans possess on this Earth are things taught, passed on, and ingrained in our hearts at a youthful age and stems from original sin. God no longer smites us for the things that we do. He never again will destroy His creation. But, with that said, we hold a greater responsibility as humans to not grow comfortable in our wicked ways. We must look to God for His help. We must be humble and approach God to ask for His protection from ourselves. And remember this, if you are humble, and you seek the help of God, you decrease your risk of living a life of violence and corruption, and increase the chance of exposing the love in our hearts that God has planted in all of us. Remember, besides the wickedness in our heart, God still created man, which includes us, in His own image. This is a powerful concept. We hold the power to destroy this Earth that God has created, but in the same light we hold the power of love, which could save it.

Questions to Follow up on:

Genesis 6:3 3 And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

Here is the second mention of God’s spirit or God having a spirit.

Q - Again, is this the same spirit we know as the Holy Spirit?

Genesis 6:8 – 9 8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. 9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Genesis 6 starts with another list of generations like the list mentioned in Genesis 5. Like Enoch in Genesis 5, it mentions how Noah also walked with God.

Q - Does this give us a clue that Enoch was also a just man and perfect in his generations?

I’ve noticed that in my previous readings, the message is written in 3 forms: poetic story telling (the creation,) short story (Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel,) and now a detailed list (the making of the Ark.)

Q - Do all of these come from the same source, or have all these stories of our Bible been accumulated and documented in the Book of Genesis by Moses?

Genesis 6:11 11 The earth also was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

Q - What does this verse mean when it says, “…before God,?” How can anything be corrupt and filled with violence or exist before God?

Genesis 7:8 8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth

Nowhere before Genesis 7 do you read what distinguishes a clean animal from an un-clean animal.

Q – Was the Noah story told for a long time before it was written? And during that time, were there practices and beliefs established and passed on that distinguished clean from un-clean and were somehow interpreted into the Noah story?

Genesis 6:18 18 But with thee will I establish my covenant;...
Note: The covenant of God is establish and given and Noah is the first generation and recipient of this covenant

Matthew 3 Reflections

As a Christian, have you ever held yourself at a higher status than those of other faiths or of no faith, because you feel you have been saved and they have not. I know there has been many times in my life where I have thought to myself about a particular person, “Man, I feel sorry for them, they have not clue what is going on.” It is a good thing I have grown in my faith and matured as a fellow human being. We need to keep in mind, just because we grew up in a sound foundation in faith, does not mean we are automatically saved. John reminds the Pharisees and Sadducees, that they are in need of repentance just like any other person. John says in Matthew 3:9 9 And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. Although direct decedents of Abraham, John warns the Pharisees and Sadducees that they are no better than anyone else. They are not in a higher status than anybody else. John goes as far as to say, that they are even at the same status as stones. Their ties with Abraham holds not bearing in their inheriting eternal life. We must keep in mind, that every person on this Earth has a chance to be saved by the grace of God, not matter who they are and what they believe, and that it is not us who will make the final judgment in the end, and because we are of a great faith community, we should not hide behind it, and think we are automatically going to Heaven. Renew your baptism every day, repent of your sins, and be filled with the Holy Spirit.

Note: Another prophecy fulfilled as stated in Matthew 3:3 3 For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight.

It seems as if John preached of baptizing people with water and it was a symbolic meaning of repentance of their sin, but he spoke of another, more worthy than John, who will come and baptize with the Holy Ghost, and with fire.

Matthew 3:11 11...he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire

Q – What is the meaning behind John’s message of when Jesus comes he will be baptizing with fire? What is baptizing with fire?

Psalms 3 Reflections

Psalm 3:1 1 LORD, how are they increased that trouble me! Many are they that rise up against me

Although this Psalm is written by David when he was fleeing from his son Absalom, it held a more personal meaning when I read it. There are many times in my life, especially in these days, where I am challenged in my faith by many. I am challenged by people who do not believe in God, or a God, or Jesus Christ, and think my faith to be crazy. I’m challenged by people of faith who may lack the common understanding of our faith and they come to me for answers that I do not always have. I’m challenged by a society that wants facts that prove my faith, but there are not always facts to give. But, even in times when I feel like I am challenged, I am able to pray to my God and when I sleep, I awake with the same faith, because my Lord sustains me. My prayers to God match David’s Psalm when he says, “I cried unto the LORD with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill.” No matter who challenges me or when life throws me a curve ball, because of God, I must keep the same attitude as David when he says in Psalm 3:6 6 I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about. I know through faith, God will nourish and provide for me always.

- Through thought, word, and deed, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will be You Lord God, and Your Son Jesus Christ…Amen

2 comments:

Ryan and Kristi said...

Josh - I wish you the best during your journey. I know this subject is something you feel strongly about and hold dear to your heart.
As you continue with your knowledge disecting the bible, I will continue on my knowledge level of disecting Green Eggs and Ham. I mean, you could serve me a 5 course meal in a box but there is NO WAY I'm going to be able to eat anything with a fox or on a train in the rain. C'mon Sam I am, it's not about hear or there it's not anywhere. I just don't like Green Eggs and Ham. I mean let me ask you, "Would you eat in a house with a mouse?" NO WAY, that's just unsanatary. I tell you what that Dr. Suess will really screw you up, it's all mind games with him!! That's as far as I got, I'm hoping to get to the end by the end of the summer so don't ruin it for me because I will get very, very UPSET!!! GOOD LUCK MY BROTHER!!

Anonymous said...

You raise interesting points, and you didn't even approach the overwhelming reality that that Ham must be wicked rotten!

-Pastor Jason
waconiafaithlutheran.com