Sunday, March 30, 2008

Genesis 27,28 * Matthew 9:1-17 * Psalm 9

Genesis 27 & 28 Reflections

In yesterdays reading, I read how Esau and Jacob would be individuals and siblings that would not get along too well.  Genesis 25:22 - 23 22 And the children struggled together within her, and she said, If it be so, why am I thus?  And she went to inquire of the LORD.  23 And the LORD said unto her, Two nations are in thy womb, and two manner of the people shall be separated from thy bowels, and the one people shall be stronger than the other people; and the elder shall serve the younger.  At first glance, I thought Jacob was deceitful in the way in which he receives the blessing from God and from Isaac.  Jacob and his mother lay out the plan, where Jacob pretends to be Esau.  Thinking they were clever in their ways, they do not realize the LORD foretold something like this would have to happen.  Finally, in Genesis 27:28 - 29 God's previous words come into play.  28 Therefore God give thee of the dew of heaven, and the fatness of the earth, and plenty of corn and wine.  29  Let people serve thee, and nations bow down to thee be lord over thy brethren, and let thy mothers sons bow down to thee: cursed be everyone that curseth thee, and blessed be he that blesseth thee.  As deceitful as this may seem at first glance, we must remember this is an important pivotal point inn our faith's history.  The people and the nations of Jacob, will end up being the very people Moses will be asked to free from slavery in Egypt.

Questions for follow up:
Q - Genesis 28:22 22 And this stone, which I will have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.  Is this the first mention of giving a tenth of what is made to God?  Is this verse used as a pillar towards giving a tenth, tithing?

Matthew 9:18 - 38 Reflections

Matthew 9:18 - 38 continues showing the miracles that are done by Jesus Christ.  Because I am so familiar with the stories of Jesus, when I first read Matthew 9:24, I was disappointed with the way people were accepting Him and His miracles.  Matthew 24 24 He said unto them, Give place for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth.  And they laughed him to scorn.  But, as I thought about it more, I wonder what I would think if Jesus would have walked up to me during the funeral of my deceased friends or relatives, and said to me, why are you mourning, the one you are morning for is not dead, but is alive?  Would the faith I have in Him keep me from laughing?  Even more, what if I hadn't known of Jesus at all, again, could I keep myself from laughing?  Sometimes I think we have lost faith in the true miracles we could see everyday, if only we stopped laughing and saw the miracles for what they are, blessings from God.  So, I ask God to live in my heart everyday.  That He open my eyes to the miracles he performs everyday.  And maybe, instead of laughing, I will be blessed enough to see the works of our Lord God

Psalm 9:1-10 Reflections

There are two places within this Psalm that inclined me to write.  The first was Psalm 9:6 - 10 6 O thou enemy, destructions are come to a perpetual end: and thou hast destroyed cities; their memorial is perished with them.  7 But the LORD shall endure for ever: he hath prepared his throne for judgment.  8 And he shall judge the world in righteousness, he shall minister judgment to the people in uprightness.  9 The LORD also will be a refuge for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.  10 And they that know thy name will put their trust in thee: for thou, LORD, hast not forsaken them that seek thee.  There are many times in my life where I have been approached by individuals that ask for proof of my faith.  Show me something that would allow me to understand you and your faith, and maybe I'll give God a chance.  First of all, faith would not be faith if I had to show and explain for every detail of why I believe in God and His son Jesus Christ.  The thing is, these versus of Psalm 9 give me comfort and pride in the fact that the truths and faiths of God have lived on for centuries.  No matter who doesn't believe me, no matter who will try to destroy my faith in God, no matter how many times people try to beat God out of my heart, I know that according to Psalm 9:7 7 But the LORD shall endure for ever: he hath prepared his throne for judgment.  So, I say, stay strong, and know that your faith and the structure of your beliefs has lived and will live on forever.  There is no need for scientific proof or proof of miracles to prove to anybody your faith.  Praise be to God...Amen.
The second part of Psalm 9 that caught my eye was at the beginning, Psalm 9:1 - 2 1 I will praise thee, O LORD, with my whole heart; I will shew forth all thy marvellous works.  2 I will be glad and rejoice in thee: I will sing praise to thy name, O thou most High.  I pray and it gives me hope, that the journey I am on will lend itself to experiences that will bring my mind and heart closer to God.  Jesus speaks to his disciples saying, Love thy God with all thy heart, soul, and mind.  I say this now, we have a wonderful maker in God.  He truly is our LORD and savior.  My meditations and praises are done now in joy.  I thirst to read and think about God, and I have only begun this journey.  Today is March 23, a day of celebrating the Resurrection of our savior Jesus Christ.  Give God thanks and praise for the sacrifice of his one and only child.  May we all be filled with the Holy Spirit and shout to the heavens praise to our God and thanks for the saving grace he sent to us.
- Truly, through thought, word and deed, and with the help of the Holy Spirit, I will be you Lord God, and your son Jesus Christ...Amen.

No comments: