Monday, March 31, 2008

Genesis 29,30 * Matthew 10:1-23 * Psalm 9:11-20

Genesis 29 & 30 Reflections

Genesis 29 and 30 has a barrage of activity. A lot of the activity deals with how the family of Jacob is built. I struggle with the fact of how it was OK to have multiple woman/wives/mates and bare multiple children. I never have and never will agree with having multiple wives, but from what you see so far in the Old Testament, having multiple wives was a normal occurrence. What did strike me, but may not be in context of what I read, Genesis 29 and 30 didn't seem to have a profound message from what I was getting out of the reading, again, what struck me was the passion Jacob held for Rachel and what he was willing to do to get her. Genesis 29:18 18 And Jacob loved Rachel; and said, I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter,...SEVEN YEARS. I could not even imagine hearing of someone in this day and age of doing such a thing. Sadly, I even forgot to call my future father in law at the time to ask for his daughters hand in marriage. Not that this is any excuse, but we had been dating seven years before we finally got married, SEVEN YEARS. Is this a coincidence to what I read today in the Old Testament? Unless anyone would consider the seven years Laura and I dated as work, I think it was just a crossing of two separate paths. It does seem, more and more, people tend to fall in love a lot quicker or tend to not put too much work and effort into their relationships before they decide to get married. I am not saying that a couple could not be happily married if they followed any or all of the things I have listed above. The only thing I find beautiful in today's reading, is the sacrifice Jacob puts into his life in order to be with the one he loves. If only we all could experience that love in one way or another. Dear God, your love for us is strong. I ask that you bless the lives of those who are in love, and that you fill their hearts with the love and grace that makes up your perfect existence...Amen.

Questions for follow up:

Q - Rachel was the daughter of Laban who was the son of Nahor. Genesis 29:6 6..., behold, Rachel his daughter cometh with the sheep. Was it normal for a woman in that time to be a caretaker for sheep, cattle, or any live stock?

Q - I have noticed now that a lot of the marriages that are written in the Bible were made up of cousins marrying cousins. Is this a normal thing? Why is this looked so down up today then?

Matthew 10:1 - 23 Reflections

Matthew 10 is full of insight and meaning. We are introduced to all 12 of Jesus deciples, we are shown the power Jesus gives, we are shown how we should go forth and preach. What stood out for me was Matthew 10:20 - 22 20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you. 21 And the brother shall deliver up the brother to death, and the father the child: and the children shall rise up against their parents, and cause them to be put to death. 22 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth till the end shall be saved. As Christians, it seems as if we already have one strike against us in our society today. We have faith and beliefs in Jesus Christ, and many do not understand us. Today, it might not be like it states in the above mentioned versus, where we will be put to death, but we are reidiculed by others within our society. Even other Christians have questioned me on wy I would even do what I'm doing with journaling my way through the Bible. We are not only tested day by day on the tempatations and the sins of this world, but we are also tested on our faith day by day through questions and hate to our faith and beliefs. I say to us all, stay strong. Our faith that we are tested on every day is the same faith that will save us eternally. Let others ridicule us, let others speak down to us, because the glory we seak is not of this place, but of heaven. Remember, Jesus sermon on the mountain, Matthew 5:10 - 11 10 Blessed are they which are persecuted for rightiousness sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. 11 Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsley for my sake. We will be persecuted. We will be hated, we will be not understood, we will be lashed out against, but I say to you, our reward is much better in the end than any earthly reward. God's speed, love and grace be with us all...Amen

No comments: